Giac Lam pagoda – a destination in Ho Chi Minh City

Built in 1744 by a hermit, Ly Thuy Long, who raised money to build the temple to worship the Buddha, the pagoda was originally called “Cam Son”, “Cam Dem” or “Son Can”.  In 1774 it was renamed “Giac Lam” during the time of Venerable Monk Vien Quang.

The Gate of Giac Lam Pagoda in HCM City’s Tan Binh district (Photo: VNA)

Hundreds of precious Buddhist idols, artefacts and old documents on Buddhist philosophy are still preserved in the pagoda.

The highlights at the 274-year-old pagoda though are the architecture, sculptures and cultural facets of Buddhism in southern Viet Nam.

Giac Lam was acknowledged as a national relic in 1988 by the Government.

It is frequented by not only local pilgrims but also foreign tourists interested in exploring Vietnamese history and culture.

Source: VNA

About Author

ryan Ryan


Leave a Reply